Being the moving story of a family of four (chronologically a Man, a Woman, a Girl and a Boy) adapting from life in a small English village to the strange New World of upstate New York...
Sunday, January 20, 2013
Cold mountain
St. Agnes' Eve - Ah bitter chill it was!
It really is the Eve of St. Agnes (I studied that Keats' poem for English A Level - thirty years ago, yikes - and always think of it around this time of year). And it has been pretty much bitter chill. Not according to the thermometer - this afternoon it crept down slowly from the mid-40s to the low 30sF, which compared to recent temperatures is not that cold - but skiing down a mountain into a brisk wind and with the sun behind threatening clouds, it felt as cold as it ever has.
Nevertheless, between us we skied hard. My instructor tells me I did well today, and apart from losing all sensation in my fingers and toes I did quite enjoy myself. The kids were up and down, up and down the mountain I don't know how many times. The Girl was wearing a new bright orange jacket, so she was easy to spot as I scanned the slopes from the chair-lift. And the Boy, as ever, could also always be spotted a mile off, doggedly snow-ploughing along.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment