The kids were off school today. Not because it was a snow day (as it was for many in the UK, I gather - five inches in Linton??), and not in honour of Barack Obama's second inauguration (I liked his speech - what did you think?), but because it was Martin Luther King Day, which is a holiday here.
The Boy has been on at me for weeks (make that months) to book him an archery lesson, so I'd arranged one for this afternoon. We went to Flying Arrow Sports, not too far away in East Greenbush.
The guy who gave the instruction was very good and explained things clearly, and we didn't hold it against him that he mistook the nearly eleven-year-old Boy for an eight-year-old girl (he's a small, long haired kid - whatcha gonna do?). The half hour lesson went well - he even hit a bullseye! I suspect we'll be investing in some gear.
While archery in this country is predominantly a hunting sport, our local deer shouldn't feel too concerned - the Boy will stick to shooting paper targets and tin cans. He's the strictest vegetarian of the lot of us, and (as far as I know) he has no plans to mount an antlered head on his bedroom wall.
Perhaps he will be able to make his own bow and arrows as I did at his age Great fun!!
ReplyDelete