Friday, January 20, 2012

Toyotal Recall

I took the car in for a recall visit today.  It's a Toyota, so it has recalls almost as often as I have dental appointments.  This time it was something to do with the airbag sensors.  I knew I'd have to wait an hour, so I took my knitting - no ban on knitting at the car dealership, I'm happy to say.

Inspired by the magic of wool and needles (it is a form of witchcraft, I think, this knitting lark) I then took myself off to a lovely nearby yarn store and did some yarn-yearning.

The kids have been on good form tonight - that Friday feeling, and some Saturday activities to feel excited about, including the return of Daddy (who called us tonight from a rain-soaked Portland, OR).


The Man adds...doesn't Albaniana come up with some great titles?  My West Coast odyssey is coming to an end.  For a couple of nights I was based on San Francisco bay near the airport. I dislike running, but a jog along the shore here was anything but dull, and made a refreshing change from winter in Albany.


It has been very dry in California, and a little light drizzle yesterday was greeted by the local news like a storm from hell. Portland however is providing buckets of proper miserable British-type rain. So this evening I ducked for cover into the wonderful "Powell's City of Books". It claims to be the largest new and used book store in the world and it's impossible not to get happily lost in its warren of rooms.


The week has provided ample new material for my own planned debut book "Scientists and engineers are from Venus, Salesmen are from Mars". It was great tonight to run into an inspirational talk in Powell's by author Thomas Frank about his latest book "Pity the Billionaire", and about the failures of Democrats to stand up for and articulate their principles in the last four years.

4 comments:

  1. Scientists may well be from Venus, salesmen are probably from hell, not that I believe that it exists, so Mercury would probably do, Engineers, however, are from Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes ,she is brilliant,-so are all the blogs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you get a big advance for your proposed book?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know about scientists, but apparently engineers tell their wives they are with their mistress, tell the mistress they are with the wife, and then go to work. What planet does that make them from?

    ReplyDelete