Saturday, January 14, 2012

Bankable performance


A friend rang today and asked if I wanted to go with her to a jazz concert in Troy tonight.  Jazz isn't usually my first choice in music, but then again it's not like I get many theatre invitations, so of course I said yes.

The venue was the Troy Savings Bank Music Hall.  I'd not been there before and was glad of the chance to visit and experience its famously excellent acoustics.  The performer was Dee Dee Bridgewater, singing a tribute to Billie Holiday.  She was a great performer, and eye-catching in her green sequinned dress, silver platforms and feathery green fake eyelashes.  She loved being on stage.  Her enthusiasm, and that of her band, was infectious and I was glad to be there.

The theatre was built in 1870, and as the name suggests it is above a bank.  I don't know if this was common practice at one time, but anyway.  It is still above a bank, now a branch of First Niagara.  Walking by at street level you wouldn't necessarily realise the theatre was there, but how grand that it is and that it has been preserved for use to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment