Friday, January 27, 2012

Art for hearts' sake

As I mentioned back on MLK Day, the kids and I spent part of that day-off working on a craft project. Well, to be honest, it was mostly the Girl and me.

A lot of people here are into gift presentation in quite a big way, and things often come in gift-bags well packed with colourful tissue-paper.  Being the hoarder that I am, I never throw any of it away (I can't shake off my that'll come in handy... mindset - I even save the paper party crowns out of Christmas crackers). I've accumulated a sackload of tissue over the years, and I decided we should put it to some use.

Using a technique I'd picked up once on a visit to the Albany Institute of History & Art children's art room, I had the kids spread watered-down glue on sheets of paper, and we overlaid it with strips of different coloured tissue.  By overlapping the tissue we got some nice effects.  With several sheets covered, we laid everything out to dry, then I flattened it all under heavy books.

A couple of days later, I got busy with scissors and cut out loads of heart-shapes.

Most of them have been turned into gift-tags.  But I also thought some would look good arranged in a frame.  What d'you reckon?

4 comments:

  1. Neat esp the one that resembles Nipper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them. I think I see Nipper - are they supposed to be like those ink blot butterflies? Is there a face in top left heart?

    You truly are the Kween of Kraft, no, the Queen of Hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. its super lovely! crafty, arty and o so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete