Saturday, January 7, 2012

Happy New Year - again

I didn't know it until this morning, but for the Karen people of Burma this is the year 2751.  Karen refugees in the Capital District celebrated the New Year today at the Boys and Girls Club of Albany.  My friends called first thing to invite me along, and I was able to attend part of the event.

A couple of hundred people were gathered, all in traditional woven dress. There were long speeches, in Karen and in English.  There was singing, and dancing and a fashion show, or as the MC billed it, an "old fashion show" - Karen teenagers in national costume, posing demurely.  Later there was feasting, too.  People were clearly happy to be getting together to enjoy their culture, and I was happy (like many other local volunteers) to have the chance to join them, if only for a little while.  You can see a few minutes of the action here.

This afternoon the Girl and Boy were otherwise occupied.  The Man and I took ourselves off to the Albany Institute of History & Art - and ended up wishing we'd had the kids with us when we found the hands-on exhibition of popular toys from the '50s, '60's and '70s.  (As it happened, the Exiles also visited the same exhibition today, sensibly equipped with a full quota of children.)   Still, I personally enjoyed playing with the yo-yos and Slinkys, admiring the Pez collection and (as directed) sniffing the Play-doh.

It was a little odd seeing the toys of my childhood as a museum exhibit.  Slightly depressing, in a way - but not as depressing as a book called "1,001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die", which I came across later today.  I guess that's the exhibit my kids will get to visit nostalgically when they're my age - in a virtual museum, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment