Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Freeze!

With temperatures set to be deep frozen all day, it seemed like a good opportunity to defrost our enormous (though actually smaller than average) fridge-freezer.  I emptied all the food out into the icey-cold three-season room (there's a reason winter isn't one of its seasons).

I was reminded of my student days, when everyone used to keep a carton of milk on their windowsill during the colder months rather than trudge to the nearest communal fridge.  Except today I was lugging out enough food to feed an entire hall of residence.

It took several hours for a year (maybe two)'s worth of accumulated ice to drip slowly out of the clogged-up ice-maker - and that was with help from a hair-dryer.  But by this evening I was able to drag all the food back in and put it away, and we're once again able to listen to the merry ker-chunk of new ice-cubes crashing into the dispenser.

8 comments:

  1. We are waiting for some cold weather to defrost our (much smaller) freezer but it remains stubbornly mild,which I prefer

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you find any random things in your freezer? I always find something that I didn't like in the first place, that I froze...maybe in the hope that I'd like it much better two years later. So, after two years of storage, it goes in the bin, where it should have been in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, what a relief to find the cold compress had leaked all over some 2 year old frozen stewed gooseberries, and I didn't have to feel guilty throwing them away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't find anything too horrible. But speaking of "something nasty in the freezer", I remember one of the Man's colleagues got in trouble a few years ago for storing a dead coyote in the freezer at work...

    ReplyDelete
  5. right enough, you never know when you might need a dead coyote. could have had it with those cold-compress-infused-gooseberries.yum

    ReplyDelete
  6. In New York it's a coyote shot by a colleague in his own back yard.

    In England it's stewed gooseberries.

    The other day someone was recounting how he nearly drowned white water kayaking in the Adirondacks over Christmas, and a English colleague countered that he'd once hurt his knee in a pedalo on a St Alban's boating lake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pedals man wins hands down

    ReplyDelete