Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Kneadlessly simple and/or exceptionally dense


Every now and then (really, very seldom) I come over all domestic goddess.  The last couple of days I've had it bad - cooking up a complicated multi-Asian meal yesterday, and today baking cookies and bread.

The bread was inspired by a book from the library, Kneadlessly Simple.  The idea is that, just by leaving it standing for long enough, dough will rise by the action of yeast alone.  So in fact I made oat-bread dough yesterday morning, and only got to the baking stage tonight.

It has turned out to be a little (ahem) dense - though perhaps not the densest thing in my home.  I hadn't properly appreciated that when she instructed me to "leave the dough to rise in a cool place", by cool the author meant around 70F.  Not cool as in the normal daytime temperature of my house (around the 62F mark).  Hence not much rising went on.  The bread is as light as a brick.

Ah well.  If it proves to be inedible I can always use it to pelt the pesky squirrels who've destroyed yet another of our birdfeeders this week.

3 comments:

  1. brilliant. you are the goddess, we bow to your brick making capabilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - need a new house? I'm your gal.

    ReplyDelete