Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Whale informed students

I had a "whale of a time" today visiting the 5th Graders' Whale Museum in the school cafeteria.  There were project books about whales, posters about whales, and many many models of whales, crafted from an astonishing variety of materials.  Cuddly whales, papier mache whales, cake whales, woolly whales, a Lego whale (very impressed by that one), what looked suspiciously like fully-glazed pottery whales...  The Girl's effort was crafted from junk, specifically plastic waste (to highlight the amount of plastic clogging the oceans and endangering sealife).  I think the resulting Right Whale is rather nice.

I fully admit there was an element of "parent project", at least in our house, and in quite a few others too, I imagine.  The Girl definitely did as much work on her whale as I did, though, and it was a nice mother-daughter bonding exercise...so that's ok then.  Isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. I hate to admit that I sort of enjoyed the mother-son bonding experience of parent projects this year also, probably because at last I convinced them to make a model rather than doing writing.

    ReplyDelete