I had to pop down to the library at the last minute last night, in an effort to avoid yet more fines. It was about to close, but there was just time to check the audiobooks section as the Boy had specially requested.
A mild-mannered librarian asked if she could help me find anything. "Harry Potter," I found myself half-snarling - sounding not unlike Snape, now I come to think of it. "Audiobooks. But you don't have any today. And frankly it's a relief because in our house we have to listen to them all the time."
"Oh, ok, I see. Err, I won't offer to look for them then..." said the librarian smiling nervously as she backed away from me.
I went home empty-handed. And listened to some Harry Potter which the Boy had out already.
Hogwarts headphones - short lead, heavily muffled
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteToo funny! Hey, Jenny Nimmo's Charlie Bone series is on CD, too, and I know for a fact it is checked in.
ReplyDelete*commence (slightly) evil laughter*
p.s. Thanks to alloveralbany.com for pointing me to your blog.
Nice to virtually meet you, Anne! I'm not yet familiar with the Charlie Bone series...but, going by your scary recommendation, not sure that I should be rushing to change that. Do you know M.T.Anderson ("Whales on Stilts" etc)? That's another one we get to listen to a lot.
ReplyDeleteMy evil laughter was because the Charlie Bone series involves magic, too, but I did enjoy the books. Brandon Mull's Fablehaven series is also favorite amongst fantasy lovers.
ReplyDeleteOooh, if they like Whales on Stilts, they might like Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events or Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl series -- or his "Legend of Spud Murphy" book.
Are they old enough for Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson books? I loved those, maybe because I loved the Greek and Roman myths as a kid.
Very happy with alloveralbany.com for pointing me to your blog and the Exile's blog -- it is fascinating seeing where I grew up through your eyes and reminds me of all the good things that are here to discover.
(Okay, that was weird, my Google Account gave me a different username that time)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the appreciation - and the book recommendations, too! There are so many great children's books to choose from these days, aren't there - which is rather wonderful, given all the other distractions they have on offer ('scuse me - "Hey, kids, how long have you been on that computer this morning?"). Our Boy hasn't quite got to the point of getting lost in books, but the Girl might as well be on another planet when she's reading. Just finished "Schooled" by Gordon Korman.
ReplyDelete"Schooled" by Gordon Korman was very good. I just finished listening to "The True Meaning of Smekday" by Adam Rex, narrated by Bahni Turpin - it was fantastic!
ReplyDeleteI'm now rereading some of my favorites by Diana Wynne Jones, in her memory.
The Girl is loving "Smekday", and I'm waiting to get it from her when she's finished. Thanks for the suggestion.
ReplyDeleteHave you read "The Children of Green Knowe" by Lucy M Boston? Very atmospheric book.