Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Tongue twisters

The Science Fair is something of a staple in American public (trans. not private) schools.  Tonight we got to experience one for ourselves.

Children across all grades had the option to take part - though I hadn't been entirely aware of this until tonight.  Anyway, the Boy had opted not to take part.  The Girl teamed up with her two favourite classmates to do a poster and presentation on genetic traits.  They explained about dominant traits (such as Robert Mitchum's cleft chin) and recessive traits (such as the Girl's inability to roll her tongue).  They offered a hands-on, or rather tongue-on, taste test with little strips of paper (supplied by the science-teacher-mom of one of the girls).  You could either taste bitter, or nothing.  Man, Girl and I tasted nothing, but the Boy had to rush off, yukking violently, to look for a drink of water. In theory this puts his paternity in question, but (even if I didn't know better anyway) I've known him gag on tasting the "wrong" kind of rice krispie, so I'm not too concerned.

There were hundreds of other projects to look at, and some very able young presenters.  A first grader gave me a detailed tour of the planets.  One of the Boy's friends showed us how to make a lava lamp using oil, water and alkaseltzer.  One child topically looked at the pros and cons of nuclear energy.  There was a mini maglev train, and toothbrush robots.  And who could resist "GERMS ARE EVERYWHERE", with a range of petri dishes demonstrating exactly why you never want a dog to lick your face. 

All in all an impressive experience.  Oh, and yesterday's challenge, the thing only eighteen North Americans can do?  That's tying a knot in a cherry stem using only tongue and teeth.  Go on, give it a try...

No comments:

Post a Comment