Monday, March 7, 2011

Another bloomin' snow day

A snow day in March, I ask you...

After dark fell yesterday the rain started freezing on every surface, and in the night the snow came.  It snowed until midday - about five inches in all, I think, though it was hard to measure as it was blowing about and drifting.  The school district first of all called for a two hour delay, but soon after decided to go the whole hog and gave everyone the day off.

Once I'd managed to peel the kids off the computer we had a rather enjoyable and creative day.  The Girl and I started another sewing project (a cat this time) and also opened a toys' hospital where we repaired various cuddly things that had been suffering from overdoses of love.  Meanwhile the Boy recreated Hogwarts Express with his train track in the basement.  Later the Girl joined him down there, and with the help of a couple of chairs began teaching herself "Chinese Jumprope" (what I grew up calling "elastics").

I couldn't persuade the children outside at all, even once the snow had stopped and the sky turned miraculously blue.  I took a walk around the block, admiring the fresh snow which lay as smooth as royal icing on a cake.  It was almost as hard as royal icing, too, when it came to shovelling the drive - the toughest snow to shift that I've experienced, and all sitting on top of a layer of gritty ice. 


To compensate for the back-breaking shovelling, all the trees looked absolutely beautiful today - covered in tiny icicles that glinted in the sun like a million diamonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment