Thursday, March 10, 2011

Shorts story

Relentless drizzle all day today.  I trudged damply round to school this evening for a meeting about costumes for the 5th Grade Musical.

I knew I was in a foreign country when the person in charge announced that all the boys playing boys (as opposed to men) in the play should identify themselves by wearing...knickers?  And then another mom piped up, "Perhaps with suspenders, too?  That'd be cute!"

"Whaaaat?"

...I nearly yelped.  But I thought better of it.  I'd just have confused everyone, because of course they all knew that by "knickers" they meant long shorts, and by "suspenders" they meant braces.

"Tank tops" here are worn under your clothes, and "vests" are worn over your shirt.  A "jumper" is a kind of dress.  And let's not forget the ever-trusty "pants" (snigger).

Our common language continues to divide us.  But I just have to go with the flow.  Well, there's no point getting my knickers in a twist about it, is there?

1 comment:

  1. This did make me smile as my little nephews are american...much confusion when thier scottish grandma tells them to put their pants on first when all along they've been taught to put their pants on second!

    ReplyDelete