Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Ice cream for fair trade

I renewed my acquaintance with the dentist today, or at least with the hygienist.  We had a nice chat about winter sports, then she hacked away at my teeth and gums with her implements of torture.  Next time I see her we'll be discussing how the summer vacation has gone.

As an antidote to the dental care, I visited an ice cream exhibit in the afternoon.  Well, sort of.  The local High School has started serving Ben & Jerry's fair trade ice cream in its cafeteria, and some students have made posters explaining what FT is all about.  They've put together a big display in the students' foyer, and I'd been invited to take a look.


It matters a lot to me that local kids are picking up the fair trade banner.  I was really happy to see their work and how they are embracing this movement. One had summed things up perfectly, writing "[Fair trade] goes to the heart of our values...the sense of right and wrong."

No comments:

Post a Comment