I've been having a bit of toothache lately, and today the dentist told me what she plans to do about it. I have a cracked tooth which needs crowning, and to do that properly I'll need to have the wisdom tooth next to it removed.
Oh joy.
The dentist was very reassuring, as she always is, and told me how much better my bite will be without the pesky wisdom tooth etc etc. When I queried the evolutionary necessity of wisdom teeth (which seem to be nothing but trouble), she went into great detail about nut-loving Neanderthals, and elephants losing their teeth by the age of sixty and dying of starvation. I rather lost the thread, but was left with the distinct impression that, unless I follow her treatment plan, I'm doomed.
The dental assistant was also gaily reassuring. "Oh, people will tell you horror stories about having their wisdom teeth out" she said, "But don't you listen - that's not going to be your experience." In fact she painted such a rosy picture of the extraction process that I expect by the end of it I'll be clamouring to have more teeth out. But maybe not. I'll let you know...
No comments:
Post a Comment