Wednesday, June 2, 2010

More Greene

I mentioned on Saturday that we stopped in a town called Greene on our way to the Finger Lakes. It was appealingly old-fashioned and full of friendly people greeting us with warm smiles as they stepped out of stores, even though we clearly weren't about to shop in their wedding gown boutique or whatever.

Greene has a grand looking library building, and olde worlde storefronts (incuding a proper ironmonger [hardware store]) along a wide main street. There's a choice of eateries - we went for a bakery-and-cafe and were very happy with our lunch there.

Greene is also home to these mystery items, for you to identify:

4 comments:

  1. Son no.2 thinks it's an aboriginal painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imaginative guess, but not correct I'm afraid. Think 'pillars of the community...

    ReplyDelete
  3. In that case they must be tent-makers - every community needs those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are forest tent caterpillars, I believe. They can cause a lot of damage, stripping trees bare, before they turn into moths. We saw hundreds of them swarming on several trees outside Greene library.

    ReplyDelete