This evening I've been at another fundraiser, this time raising money for a venture in Ghana - Kekeli - started by a woman called Carrie Brown.
Carrie is quiet and seemingly unassuming, but a very happy person, and totally inspiring. Single-handedly she's doing great things with some of Ghana's most disenfranchised youngsters - orphans, children of cured lepers and kids with special needs. She teaches them photography, giving them a skill not many local people have and thus providing them with the chance to earn a living in the future. Perhaps even more importantly, in a society where these kids expect to be shunned, she offers them respect and friendship - a priceless gift.
I first met Carrie back in May when she had a table at the fair trade chocolate event. I was really glad to have the opportunity to go and support her event tonight. She returns to Ghana at the end of this month and I wish her all the best.
No comments:
Post a Comment