Monday, June 14, 2010

Consents and sensibility

The Man writes...before we came to America our bank kindly gave us a "consent to lease" for our Linton property. This piece of paper cost us £499 even though our mortgage agreement stated that it should cost £75. Bafflingly, the mortgage ombudsman thought this was entirely reasonable.

Now I had to ring the bank to discuss having the "consent to lease" extended. I had three identical conversations:

"No problem, I'll make an appointment for you at the Cambridge branch."

"I live in New York so that isn't very convenient."

"Oh...please hold while I have a minor panic. Then eventually I'll come back on and pass the buck to someone else".

Thus I rang the National Helpline, who told me to ring Cambridge, who told me to ring the National Helpline, who finally told me they would email Cambridge and ask them to ring me. I'm not holding my breath.

On a happier note, thanks to a promotion in a local supermarket I filled up last week for 10.9 cents (about 7.5 pence) per gallon. This struck me as a very good deal so, being of a prudent nature, I drove around for a while beforehand to make sure the tank was good and empty before I started.

1 comment:

  1. Our petrol is also a bargain!!!
    It has come down to 117.9 a Litre only
    ~110p more than you paid for a gallon!

    ReplyDelete