But apparently there was some sporting event on that the Man just had to see.
England playing the USA competitively at football (ok then, soccer) for the first time in sixty years. Fair enough, I guess we had to see that.
The place was packed, mostly not with English fans. There were several people dressed up as Uncle Sam. Even before kick-off, there was thunderous booing every time Wayne Rooney's face appeared on the screen. We kept a low profile - but somehow found ourselves in a little cluster of fellow England supporters (at least one of them was Mexican).
Great moment in the opening minutes when Gerrard scored for England - yay! Not so great when Green fumbled the ball and let in the US goal - groan! The Man stood beside me miserably for the rest of the match - honestly, men and sport, why do they put themselves through it?
The TVs were cranked to full volume, and the crowd around us bayed U-S-A continually at the tops of their lungs. When the match finally ended - a 1-1 draw/tie (but I'm sure you already know that) and we left the marquee, we realised we had actually become deaf.
And how did I feel about it all, given that I couldn't care less about sport and dislike displays of nationalism? Deep down do I really wish England had won hands down against my generous host nation?
Hell yeah!
My favourite headline today is 'Hand of Clod'.
ReplyDeleteGetting that sinking world cup feeling all over again.