My refugee friends have extended family living nearby, and today I was invited to a meal at their apartment just up the road.
It's a small place, sparcely furnished. Every few minutes an electronic beeping noise came from first one room then another. It took me a while to realise it was the smoke alarms - they needed their batteries changing. I think my hosts had had no idea why they were making that noise, which they had simply been putting up with, not knowing what else to do.
I helped them get one of the alarms down, and showed them how to open it up to get at the battery. I made them promise to replace the batteries as soon as possible, and I'm pretty sure they will - there have been at least three devastating house fires in that neighbourhood in the space of a year.
That's the risk with old buildings, and those in Linton are not immune either - a dreadful fire last night destroyed much of Chilford Hall, a very popular weddings and events venue. No-one hurt, thank goodness, but what a terrible thing to happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment