Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Humbled

I wrote a while back about USCRI.  Well, I signed up as a volunteer, and recently have been meeting with the family I am to "mentor" - help out a little, befriend, or however it turns out to be.

I'm not going to write a whole lot about this family, except to say that they have been refugees from their own country for very much longer than the less-than-a-year they've been in the States.  There are kids in school, and one little one still at home.  Due to their circumstances, at the moment they survive on benefits. I was overwhelmed today when I took the mother to the supermarket and she tried to give me a bag of groceries - paid for with her food-stamps - as a thank you.  I hope we can quickly build a relationship in which she no longer feels she needs to make such gestures, much as I appreciate her desire to do so. 

Meanwhile, back at home, I'm trying to get my head round the Boy's Math[s] homework - getting to grips with "commutative and associative properties" for example.  Definitions aside, the poor lad can barely pronounce the words; and as for spelling them...  I'm sure I wasn't studying stuff like that when I was nine.

1 comment:

  1. I am sure you will develop a good friendship with your new family. Sounds like the mother has a generous spirit. She will appreciate your time and efforts.

    As for maths, I think it is unduly complicated. I like maths, love it really but it doesn't help if the language is difficult to communicate - particular to young learners.

    ReplyDelete