Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Not for the faint-hearted

The Girl and I were having a medical-related conversation on our way home from a session at the ice-rink this afternoon.   As I got out of the car and was walking up the garden path I was conscious that I was starting to feel a little woozy.  Next thing, I was conscious again, but wondering how I came to be lying on my back in the hall looking at the ceiling.

The Girl tells me my faint was quite dramatic - I just dropped backwards.  Touch-wood, I'm quite lucky when I faint and don't tend to hurt myself, be it slumping in school corridors, blacking out in cinemas, sliding to the ground between cafe tables or - as today - collapsing backwards onto a tiled floor.  No bumps or bruises to show for it.

I've been a fainter for as long as I can remember.  Not because of a medical condition, but because of the thought of medical conditions.  Or blood.  Or injections - especially injections.  It's unpredictable.  When I had a routine blood test in the summer I didn't need even so much as a little lie-down.  When I took the Boy for a blood test one time, that was another story.  No amount of experience - having babies, endless dental treatments, hypnosis (yes, I've even tried that) - seems to completely shake it.

I freaked the Girl out good and proper today, though I was able to assure her afterwards that fainting doesn't really bother me, it's just a bit of a nuisance.  But for the record, although I'm genuinely sympathetic, please spare me the details of your medical complications, and be aware that I'm the last person you need in a crisis.

2 comments:

  1. Was there any chance that you might have fainted BEFORE getting out of the car - ie while you were still driving? Or do you think you have some built-in mechanism to prevent that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there's too much to do while driving, so that held off the faint. But as soon as I was out of the car there was nothing to stop me blacking right out.

    ReplyDelete