I gave Fair Trade presentations to three different classes at the Boy's elementary school this morning.
I tried to make the lessons as interactive and fun as possible - by having the kids do activities like checking their labels to find out where their clothes were made. I wanted them to realise how much we're all connected to other people around the world, every day, through the things we buy and use. I hope I got at least some of them thinking about the fact that "things" are not just things, but come from somewhere, and are made by someone, and have a story. Then, using a wizzy slide show (thank you Man and Girl, my technical support in preparing that) and by passing round textiles, we took a look at the lives and work of the weavers of Mayan Hands in Guatemala, and found out how Fair Trade is helping there.
I'd forgotten how tiring it is, performing in front of a class. It's a while since I've done it. Hats off to teachers, getting up there day in and day out.
Photo courtesy of Mayan Hands.

No comments:
Post a Comment