Three more fair trade presentations at the Boy's school today, but this time I was co-presenting with my friend Brenda Rosenbaum, founder of Mayan Hands. It was great to stand back for part of each session and listen to her describe life in the Mayan villages of Guatemala. She knows them well after years of studying their culture as an anthropologist, then another twenty years working with weavers through fair trade.
I think the kids were interested, too. I hope we've got lots of them well-informed and psyched up now to buy the Mayan Hands "school spirit" bracelets that we'll be launching as a school fundraiser in just over a week.
This evening, another FT event. A coffee farmer and cooperative leader from the Dominican Republic was in town, and drew in a small crowd at a local cafe for a talk on the benefits fair trade brings to her community. It's always great to hear first-hand what a difference fair trade is making for producers. I think everyone present felt spurred on to continue their efforts to support the movement.
KPO Keep Plugging On
ReplyDelete