So, while I was getting lightly stoned at the dentist yesterday, the children were having their last half-day at school. In the evening we all headed back there for Graduation - the big moment for the 8th Graders who are now moving up to high school.
Each of these fourteen year-olds had to stand up and make a speech in front of the massed gathering of teachers, parents, grandparents and schoolmates of all ages. I couldn't have done that at fourteen, in fact I'd struggle now. They all did really well. Several of them have been at the school since they were four years old. It'll be a big change for them to move on elsewhere, but they seem ready to embrace the challenge. They finished by singing this song.
Today a group of moms and kids met up at the local outdoor swimming complex and stayed there for hours enjoying the company and the fine weather (temperatures are now down to the much more comfortable low 80s) and that whole 'vacation starts here!' feeling.
I enjoyed the song and tuned in for a whole minute and 16 seconds, before I realised there were another 3 minutes. I think your visit to England - land of cynics - can not come a moment too soon.
ReplyDeleteAh yes, it is overly long, I'll grant you that. The song (at least the for first couple of verses) makes we a little emotional, but as I've mentioned elsewhere in this blog, so does the theme song to Thomas the Tank Engine, so what can you do with me, really?
ReplyDeleteI am tired of 'this song'!
ReplyDelete