I had another home day today, doing jobs of one kind and another - like raking leaves, now that all the snow has melted. We still haven't succumbed to a leaf-blower, but in any case a rake is better exercise and more sociable. Neighbours from both sides stopped to chat as I scratched away at the front lawn. The family on one side revealed that last night they'd been trick-or-treating as almost the entire cast of Harry Potter - well, Harry, Hermione and Professor McGonagall anyway. Sadly the kids hadn't managed to persuade their dad to dress up as Dumbledore. If it was long-bearded company they were after they should have taken the Boy's best buddy, who went out dressed as an off-season Santa Claus.
I don't remember ever trick-or-treating as a child, and just a few years ago in Linton when the kids were little it still seemed quite a low-key thing. I wonder how it is these days, if Britain has bought into it wholesale yet? Not that there's time still to be thinking about Halloween. Many of you reading this will no doubt be looking forward to Bonfire Night soon. And as the Man pointed out yesterday, before we know it it'll be last posting date for Christmas cards to the UK. (Don't hold your breaths, by the way. Just because I've written that down, doesn't mean I won't end up missing the deadline anyway.)
When I was a child in Scotland, halloween was a big event. We didn't call it trick or treat, we went 'guising' from house to house. We had to tell a joke, sing a song or otherwise entertain. Then we'd fill up with goodies and move on. The streets were full of kids doing the same. era: late 70s
ReplyDeleteNow that sounds more like it - earn your goodies rather than begging for them.
ReplyDeleteHow "big" halloween is over here seems to depend on whether you live on "the estate" or not. We enjoyed a few visitors this year rather than endured the 120+ that we had a couple of years ago.
sorry, rubbish grammar - should be enduring - I know April Fool will pick me up on it if I don't correct it!
ReplyDeleteIts OK if its young children who have taken the trouble to dress up and it brings some joy to what to me is a miserable part of the year when I would like to hibernate.When I was young I didnt take any notice of the seasons especially in London ,but now I look forward to Spring and Summer
ReplyDelete