...and it's small.
Taking advantage of the continuing Nanovember season, I was back at CNSE this evening to hear the college's Senior Vice President, CEO and founder, Alain Kaloyeros, give a lecture.
It was a powerpointy thing, interspersed with humorous video clips - clearly he was pitching somewhat at the layman (that'd be me). He made a good case for the importance and pervasiveness of nanotechnology now, never mind in our futures - it has multiple medical applications, as well as enabling smartphones and i-pads and all that computer stuff. By the middle of this century, the average laptop will have more computational capacity than the whole of humankind (although laptops themselves will be old hat - before 2020 we'll all be carrying computer pens that will slot into a docking station and project an interactive screen onto the wall and a keyboard onto the desk).
Kaloyeros implied that anyone who is anyone (or at least, who wants to earn any money) had better get themselves a degree and be part of the nano-revolution. Geeks shall inherit the earth etc, fill our lives with unimaginably cool technology and incidentally cure all our diseases and possibly even death.
I'm impressed and, I'll admit, a bit put off by the vision of the future he laid before us. I'm even a bit put off by the present, truth be told.
Don't worry. Still waiting for the Flying Car and the Paperless Office
ReplyDelete