Thursday, November 17, 2011

Holy cow!

I was at the Boy's school this evening, for something called the Turkey Shoot. 

This is not when they march a load of elementary school kids out onto the grounds and let them take potshots at turkeys.  It's more of a basketball-related event.  Kids pay a dollar to shoot ten hoops.  In days past, the kid who got the most baskets would win a turkey (it's Thanksgiving next week, of course).  These days, if you get ten baskets you win a ball.

The Boy didn't participate in the hoop shooting.  Being a bit vertically challenged, basketball isn't really his strong suit.  But he bobbed around with his mates, enjoyed some cheap snacks in the cafeteria (ice-cream and crisps - mm, all the food groups!) and bought a couple of items at a book fair.  The combination of food, basketball and books means that the event is sometimes billed as "Eat, shoot and read", which is quite a clever reference, but only if you've ever heard of  that panda joke or Lynne Truss's book.

Anyway, I was there flogging fair trade bracelets again.  I did reasonably well, considering I was competing for punters' cash with the world's absolutely most desirable raffle item:

2 comments:

  1. Is the cow functional in any way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not as far as I could tell - though who knows, maybe it's a Pilates cow or something.

    Whatever, it was magnetically attractive to nearly every kid (our Boy included)- competition to win was fierce. Conversation overheard between some unhappy non-winners:

    A: Did you hear? The person who won only bought ONE ticket! That's so not fair!

    B: One ticket?? No way! I bought 23 tickets!

    BTW - nice to hear from you RR. I was beginning to think all my Linton readers had forsaken me...

    ReplyDelete