Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving eve

This afternoon we got the Fair Trade Market set up - well ahead of time because everyone will be busy tomorrow with Thanksgiving, and on Friday we open for business promptly at 9am. (This is comparatively late - at least one large retail outet opens at midnight on Thanksgiving for Black Friday, to the horror and dismay of its badly treated staff).

It's all looking very lovely, and I'm excited to see how the whole event unfolds.

The rest of the day I'd spent with my refugee friends - starting out on a simple errand, which became more complicated (thanks to some impenetrable bureaucracy) and ended up taking several hours.  They are a very nice family.  I do feel for them, trying to fit into their new and alien environment, and still struggling with the language.  It can be taxing to be surrounded by a language and culture you hardly understand.  You're never entirely sure what's going on.  It's like living inside a bubble - you don't quite feel part of the world around you.  Just being is tiring.

And the passing of any busy day is tiring, too, of course.  There's been a lot of falling asleep on couches going in our house this evening.  The first (among many) things I shall be feeling thankful for tomorrow will be a little lie-in.

No comments:

Post a Comment