As I've noted before, I'm not the wildest of shoe-buyers. Having once more got to the unpleasantly leaky stage with my one pair of rest-of-year (ie, not sandals) shoes, I dragged myself off to buy some new ones yesterday.
Well of course, since it's April, the store I went to had all its strappy sandals out and not much else - even though we're still getting off-and-on cold weather and rain (did I mention, it's April?). However, there was a Bargain rack with a few pairs of wintery shoes on it. And to my extreme delight, there was only one pair in my size that I would even consider wearing. So I bought those. No choice, no agonising - marvellous!
I appreciate freedom of thought etc, so there's a lot about communist regimes that I couldn't put up with. But lack of consumer choice? That I could handle - so much more relaxing not to have all those pesky decisions to make.
Try buying a pair of gloves in April in Cambridge when it is sub-zero temperatures. The girl in ASDA was very apologetic that it was officially Spring so therefore they wouldn't be selling winterwear. And yes, I'd be on for wearing a uniform to save fashion-decisions every morning. Suspect I.Livid wouldn't though.
ReplyDelete