I did my bit for Earth Day today (officially Earth Day was Monday, but it always expands around the date). The Middle School hosted a three-hour event for environmentally-minded groups to present information to students. We were round the back of the school cafeteria, and all had tables under awnings - we looked like a sort of farmers' market of Green worthiness (and in fact the actual farmers' market was represented).
Five Rivers was there, of course, and Pine Hollow Arboretum. Someone from a caving association, and groups concerned with preventing Emerald Ash Borers or forest fires, conserving water, recycling. I was there for Fair Trade, talking mostly about bananas. I had the students fill out "bananagrams" to the three main supermarkets, requesting that they stock FT bananas (better for the environment because of sustainable farming and reduced use of pesticides, and better for farmers for the usual FT reasons).
The kids came through in waves during their lunchtimes, so they couldn't stay long, but I managed to speak to quite a few - at least to those that weren't distracted by the critters (live snakes, salamanders and frogs!) of the Critter Patrol, on the table directly opposite.
No comments:
Post a Comment