Saturday, April 6, 2013

Into the garden

Although it has been chilly today, the spring-like feel to the air is hanging in there and thoughts have turned to gardening.


It seems we did not do a great job of our "fall clear-up" last year and we've found plenty of leaves to rake up and bag.  The Man has been wrangling overgrown berry-bushes and snipping them into shape.  The Boy is looking forward to the planting season, and had us make a trip to the garden centre to buy supplies.  We are trying to start off a few plants indoors this year - what d'you reckon? 

I love the idea of gardening.  I enjoy visiting other people's gardens and I love reading about other people gardening (e.g. Barbara Kingsolver's excellent Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.)  But as yet I have not really managed to embrace the reality of gardening.  But who knows?  In the last six months I've got into cooking, so maybe this is the year when I'll also get into growing.

2 comments:

  1. I think that traditional bedding plants should do well in your climate but youll have to be prepared to water them every day and feed them regulary Pelagoniums (Geraniums ) Petunias Begonias are colorful and should do well until the frosts for example

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice Old Dog, we'll look into it.

    Do you like our new greenhouse by the way?

    ReplyDelete