Friday, April 19, 2013

Thought for food

I've been at Siena College's 3rd annual Fair Trade Conference today.  An excellent event with some thought-provoking speakers, and with a particular emphasis this year on the many issues and challenges of food justice. 

Part of me has come away feeling like the weight of the world's problems are on my shoulders, and all I want to do is hide under a duvet and sob into my pillow.  But that is ultimately not a useful response, so when I'm done sobbing I guess I'll just have to get back to trying to find ways to make things a little better and a little fairer where I'm able.

Meanwhile poor Boston has been having a crazy day.  The media is, predictably, hyperventilating over all the breaking news, interspersing it with lengthy spells of pure speculation.  Even the relatively reserved and temperate National Public Radio is practically melting down with excitement.  What, they wonder, could the perpetrators of the marathon bombing have been hoping to achieve?  What indeed?  Couldn't possibly be 24-hour wall-to-wall coverage - d'you think?

1 comment:

  1. Its good to know that Boston is getting back to normal I hope that nothing untoward happens at the London marathon My thoughts also go out to the people in Terxas caught up in that horrible explosion and the people in China suffering an earthquake with many dead

    ReplyDelete