Thursday, April 25, 2013

Flights of fancy

The only good thing about the Man having to make several trips abroad this year is that I've had to visit Albany Airport a few times, and while there I've taken the opportunity to visit the always interesting airport art gallery. 

The current exhibition, which I've wandered through two or three times, is Some Assembly Required, which looks at different forms of collage.  Here are a few pieces we enjoyed:

Apres Salviati by Susan Spencer Crowe: "memories of girlish frocks meet the skills of a welder":


Coal Lumps and Cabin Fever by Kirstin Hassenfeld. Striking sculpture made out of wrapping paper and straws.



Art works perfectly in an airport - it's just what you need to take your mind off the comings and goings that brought you to the place.  Ken, the artist we met last weekend, who has had work exhibited at the airport, told us Albany's gallery has been used as a model for other airport art spaces around the country, and I'm not surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment