Thursday, June 16, 2011

Map-reading for girls

I had to go for a routine mammogram today.  The hospital where I went to get it done has all been changed around since my last visit, and the mammography unit is now in a different building.  There is construction work going on, and just generally the whole site is confusing to negotiate.  Not really helped at all by a map on the parking lot wall that was obviously put up by a man.  Everything was back to front.

I have been scoffed at before now (by men) because I nearly always have to turn maps upside down when I want to find out where I am.  In fact a lot of women have to do this.  It's not because we're all thick, it's just that our brains are wired up differently.  There have been academic studies that show this to be the case.

So where am I going with all this?  Well, off in entirely the wrong direction if that map at the hospital had been all I had to go on - I'd probably be lost and wandering there still if they hadn't also thought to put up some arrows around the place pointing to the building I needed.  It really seems quite unfair at a hospital, where ipso facto most visitors are already feeling anxious, to put up a map that a large proportion of the population can't read without standing on their heads - don't you think?

1 comment: