My parents had seen round the New York State Capitol on a
previous visit here, but since I'd still not been myself I was very happy to take my aunt along for a tour today. And very enjoyable it was.

It's an interesting building, encompassing several architectural styles because it took more than thirty years and five architects to get it made. If lavish is your thing, it might be right up your street - it contains masses of imported stone, intricately carved; craftsman-tiled floors; luxury leather chairs a-plenty; and, in the Assembly Room, a whole lot of pure gold cladding. The legislators have sure known how to spend the taxpayers' dollars over the years (that gold I mentioned was only installed in 2003). I can't help thinking that the people we vote into power might stay better focused on the needs of their electorate if their surroundings were a little less grandiose. Discuss.

Having said that, I did appreciate the fancy lifts (elevators) - the OTIS company's oldest and finest. There was also a jolly carpet version of the
New York State seal (no, not the arf-arf flipper-flapping kind). The guide talked us through it - the Eagle on top of the world; the sun smiling down on the Hudson River, complete with Dutch sloop; and the two goddesses, of Justice and Liberty. Liberty is stamping her left foot on Evil, as symbolised by...the British crown.
They just
never let you forget.
No comments:
Post a Comment