Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Fast and fiery

The other evening the Boy had been invited out to the cinema (Cars 2 in 3D, verdict: better than the well-liked original) and the Girl was hankering after Mexican food (never thought I'd get to say that about my daughter), so the Man and I took her to the Chipotle in Stuyvesant Plaza.

Chipotle is a Mexican grill fast-food chain restaurant.  Put like that it doesn't sound too enticing, does it, but I was actually pretty impressed.  They make a big deal of using fresh, local ingredients (they know what their middle-class farmers' market-shopping clientele is after), and I have to say the vegetarian burrito that the Man and I shared did taste very fresh and good.  The Girl enjoyed two beef tacos, with meat from hormone-free, pasture-fed cows and seemed quite happy about it (though she had to suck on ice-cubes afterwards to counteract the spiciness).

The decor was a bit industrial for my taste (polished concrete floors, unfinished ceiling etc), and the poor acoustics and wide range of choices plus our funny accents made ordering the food a bit of a chore.  Next time we'll rehearse our order before we go in.  Because I liked it enough to hope there'll be a next time.

2 comments:

  1. was there not a picture menu you could point to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No - it follows more the Subway model of infinite customised choice and "Sorry? What did you say that was?" type confusion.

    ReplyDelete