It was a beautiful day to visit Hancock Shaker Village, which is where my Mum and aunt and I went today. The sun was shining but it wasn't too hot. The village was quiet and it was peaceful just ambling about. I was, as ever, very struck by Shaker ingenuity. They invented a chair that can tip back safely without denting the floor (it has ball-and-socket feet on the back legs). In the museum shop I bought an elegant one-handed salad-serving implement made from cherry wood and hinged with a brass pin.
This evening our same party of three set out to a quilt meeting in Clifton Park, half an hour north of home. Mum had by chance been in correspondence with a member of the group and she'd invited us along. It was all very jolly. Several quilt shop owners were there giving presentations about new stock and upcoming classes. There was a display of challenge quilts that group members had made. There was a show-and-tell session. The co-president's baby was passed around the room to be looked after by whoever had a free pair of arms. And because it was the last meeting for the summer there were cookies - loads and loads of cookies.
Apparently everyone (and there are more than 200 members) had been asked to bring along a dozen cookies to share. With a sudden burst of mathematical genius I worked out that meant everyone was also expected to eat a dozen cookies. Luckily they didn't all manage it, and I was sent home with a plateful of cookies for the family. I'm liking this group. I may just have to visit again.

No comments:
Post a Comment