Monday, February 28, 2011

TV - reality!

D'you remember back in November I went to a meeting and ended up volunteering to take part in a TV programme?  And that in December I set forth with a borrowed camcorder and took wobbly footage of fair trade businesses around town?  And that was followed up by my own less than stellar performance on camera?

I then forgot about it all and got stuck into Christmas.  But, lo and behold, time has passed and tonight I went along to see the preview showing of WMHT's latest edition of Our Town.  (And I still feel unable to mention the name of the town, which is daft, I know but it's hard to break a more than three-year-old habit.)

Well you know, it wasn't too bad.  The editors had done a superb job of clipping and trimming hours of amateur footage into something really quite watchable, and, speaking for myself at least, they did a decent job of editing the interviews too.  Each segment lasted about three minutes, and some of us also reappeared for a few seconds at the end, summing up our thoughts about the town. 

There were sections about local history, parks and amenities, businesses, green initiatives, choirs and orchestras, parades and theatrical performances.. and much else besides (including, of course, fair trade).  Participants ranged in age from about 8 to 80.  The audience was left feeling lucky to live in a such a lovely community - exactly as the programme-makers intended.

I found it all fascinating and very enjoyable.  The whole show ran to 90 minutes, so to be honest maybe if I didn't live in Our Town I wouldn't have found it quite so gripping.  But that's the mysterious magic of TV isn't it - for some reason it's ridiculously exciting to see places and people you know appearing on a screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment