Saturday, February 5, 2011

We had an ice day

The kids and I kicked off the weekend with the annual celebration of International Ice Cream for Breakfast Day at our friends' house.  Ice cream + toppings = hyped-up kids...but as usual, to my surprise, the party went smoothly.

We headed home in time to grab a less sugary lunch before skating - we're now into the last session of lessons for the season.  For me the class was immediately followed by a snow-shoeing outing at Five Rivers, accompanying the Boy who'd been invited on a winter tracking birthday party.  It must be said, with a group of nine boys aged between eight and eleven there was never much chance of any serious tracking happening.  There was plenty of goofing around, however: snowballing, snow-eating, falling over, lying face-down in the snow to find out what that feels like etc etc.  As the instructor confided to me, "This is why I usually only take out Girl Scout groups."

Rather than the promised snow today, we've had light rain.  Innocuous-looking, but potentially deadly - it turns the freezing cold roads into skating rinks.  I had a close encounter with a snowbank on the way home from Five Rivers (no harm done, I was going very slowly), and the Man could barely stand upright on our black-iced driveway.  The rain may yet turn to snow overnight, to give us snow on top of ice - won't that be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment