The roadside snow in particular soon gets to looking a bit grubby and past its best. This afternoon we had a couple of intense snow flurries, lasting only a few minutes each, which didn't add much inch-age but left everything looking freshly white again, as if dredged with sugar.
Today's skating lesson was also quite intense. I'm really struggling with something called back edges, where you have to describe a series of curves, switching from one foot to the other, all while skating backwards. "Edge" refers to the edge of the skate blade - the curve is achieved by your weight being either on the outside or inside edge. You also have to hold your arms in a certain position, switching arms as you make the curve, and you have to make sure your shoulder doesn't drop, or your hip, as that throws you off - remember, all the time you're balancing on one foot. And head up, head up!
Sorry to get so detailed about it, but I'm trying to give you a feel for what a challenge it is to hold every part of yourself in just the right place at the right moment - and move at the same time! I'm doing better than I was a few weeks ago when I started to learn this manoeuvre, but progress is maddeningly slow. Only four more lessons in which to try and nail it...

No comments:
Post a Comment