Sunday, February 6, 2011

Losing my grip

Sunday: ski day.  Both kids are doing really well now, going gung-ho down any terrain that faces them, be it bumps, forest paths or fast, steep slopes.  Falls don't phase them, they just scramble up and carry on.

In my group of adult learners we're generally more cautious and mindful of our relative lack of bouncebackability, so we're taking things a bit more slowly.  Even so, unfortunately today one of my classmates had a bad fall.  It wasn't her fault, someone skied in front of her and knocked her over.  She put her knee out (just a sprain, we all sincerely hope) and had to be sledded down by the Ski Patrol team.

Though it was sobering to witness this accident, after the lesson I still went ahead and tried out Joe's Special again.  All went well the first time, but on my second attempt I lost control and took a tumble myself, ending up some way downhill of a ski, a pole and my hat.  I managed to retrieve my equipment and make it down to the bottom safely, but then I suddenly felt the urgent call of a hot chocolate in the ski lodge.  I ended up staying inside while the rest of the family went up and down the mountain a half dozen more times.

I seem to be fine after my fall, apart from having hurt my thumb (pranged as I gripped the pole handle).  I shall no doubt be spending a couple of days reflecting on the usefulness of thumbs while I try to avoid using this one until it feels better.

4 comments:

  1. It's all go (or snow) over there isn't it. I feel like Jim Royle after I've read your weekend's activities.

    I did read in our local paper's 'Crime' section that half a dozen eggs were stolen from a doorstep in Thaxted (value £1). That's the most eggcitement there is round here at the moment. Unless other Lintonites are having all the fun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot of water-skiing on the Granta in the morning; after lunch took the children to Kids' Parachute Jump from St Mary's church tower, followed immediately by Wacky Races to Addenbrookes; rounded off the day with an illegal rave at Nichols Court. Don't tell me you stayed in to read the papers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just been walking (and then washing) the dog, over and over again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eye Don't Believe It
    A mother had to make an emergency dash to school today to collect her daughter who had 'something lodged' in her eye. The daughter, who was distressed and said she was suffering from double vision, then managed to remove an eyelash and play happily with a puzzle for the rest of the afternoon. The mother then had a large cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete