Monday, December 22, 2008

Notta lotta bottle

The kids and I went looking for a hot water bottle for the Man today, for Christmas. It's what he especially wants.

Could we find one anywhere? Could we heck. It's very hard to get any device here that doesn't need plugging in (unless it's a kettle - for some reason Americans seem very attached to the whistling stove-top kind). We tried asking in several shops, but were met with mystification and directions either to the flasks section or to the surgical appliances department where we found plug-in heated arthritis pads.

The nearest we got to what we were after did look a lot like a hot water bottle, but turned out to be one of those grain-filled things you heat up in a microwave. Which would have meant us having to buy a microwave, too.

Ah well. On really cold nights the Man and I will just have to resort to our old trick of popping one of the kids in the bed to warm up our sheets for a couple of hours before we turn in for the night.

2 comments:

  1. When I wanted a hot water bottle for my Grandmother I bought one from this company: http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/browse/Home/Apothecary/Medicine-Cabinet/Hot-Water-Bottle/D/30102/P/1:100:1000:10130/I/f11268?searchid=7JY1SRCH&feedid=googlenonbrand

    They have lots of stuff you can't find right away at local shops.

    Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the hot tip, Anonymous. Happy New Year to you too.

    ReplyDelete