Sunday, December 7, 2008

Fir too big?

Maybe I'd got carried away with yesterday's festive knitting fun, but for some reason I caved in to the kids' request to go out and buy a Christmas tree today. We don't usually do that until much later in December.

Is there an expression along the lines of 'bitten off more than you can chew' pertaining to buying Christmas trees? I feared that's what we'd done as we wrangled the monster fir off the car roof and in through the front door. I guess that's just what happens when you tree-shop at an any-size-the-same-price outfit - it's so tempting to try and really get your money's worth.

Thankfully we'd invested in a proper tree stand last year, so we didn't have to spend two hours precariously balancing a nine foot tree in a too-small bucket stuffed with bricks. We did have to buy an extra string of lights, though, so that the illuminations didn't stop halfway up.

Anyway, here it is all decorated. What d'you think? You have to admit it does spruce up our living room - does it make you pine to be with us?

5 comments:

  1. just lovely - and the tree looks nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's on the top of your tree - are you a star or a fairy family?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just lovely - ours is disappointingly thin this year. I've had to reduce the number of fairy lights to make it look less like a skeleton. Nevertheless, the children have attacked our tree with reckless abandon on the decoration side, so it looks very random and unsophisticated...but that is OK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the fairy vs star debate! The Boy favours a star this year, but the Girl prefers an angel. Me, I like a mouse in pride of place. But since we can't reach the top of the tree anyway the discussion is quite academic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, now I'll have to give into pressure from the Derbyshire girls and get our tree! I was hoping to hold off for an other week on the grounds that the needles would fall off by Christmas Eve if not.
    However, I'm sure we can find a GM tree that has the capability to last until Easter so a lumber-jacking we will go...

    ... nice to see your tree just all the same - and such life like elves around the tree too :-)

    We'll be putting our usual "Christmouse" atop our tree.

    ReplyDelete