Monday, March 17, 2014

Shamrocked

I had an early start as I was meant to drive the Man to the airport before the kids were up for school.  However, it being one of the Man's trips, it soon went all wobbly on us.  We were hardly out of the garage before he found out the flight was delayed due to snow en route.  He did catch it eventually, though, and has made it safely down to North Carolina where he'll be for the rest of the week.

It's St. Patrick's Day proper. "Great," said the Girl heading to school this morning, "Just what I need to start my day:  500 people dressed in green."  For that tends to be the way to mark the day in this town where almost everyone is sort of Irish, if they're not sort of Italian (or sort of both).

Definitely the crowd at the library this evening favoured green.  They were there to watch the Girl and her fellow dancers high-stepping their jigs and reels in honour of the saint.  It was a nice show, followed by (of course) green-iced cupcakes.

The Man adds...here I am leaving Washington soon after the airport re-opened after morning snow.  And tonight North Carolina is suffering from the combination of drizzly rain and below-freezing temperatures that leaves everything caked in ice.  Even in the South, winter drags on.

 

1 comment:

  1. More time away Not much green to be seen Its much better here!

    ReplyDelete