Friday, March 7, 2014

California Dreaming (4)


The Man writes...for my last day in San Francisco I was keen to repeat a hike I did in Muir Woods on my very first visit to the States, almost exactly 25 years ago.

Muir Woods is only 16 miles north of the city, but getting there by public transport took some careful planning. Three buses were required, one of which only runs every three or four hours in the "winter season". (How could it be off season when it had been perfect weather and in the 60sF for the last two weeks?). However, it all worked out fine and was a bargain at $4.50 each way.

I got off the bus on Panoramic Highway and hiked about a mile down into Muir Woods.  Declared a national monument by Theodore Roosevelt, this is one of the last remaining forests of coast redwoods. These trees are taller and thinner than their inland cousins, the giant sequoia. In Muir Woods they are up to a 1000 years old and 250 feet high, and truly spectacular.


I headed deep into the woods away from the crowds. When I emerged about three hours later I expected to see the Pacific below me. Instead I found myself above a sea of mist, held back magically on the shore line and at the entrance to San Francisco Bay.



About another hour later I got to Stinson Beach, just in time to meet the last bus home. 



3 comments:

  1. That looks like a good day out How quickly those 25 years have gone

    ReplyDelete
  2. For once, awesome seems OK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it was awesome and a brilliant day out. I wish the family had been with me. It's hard to do the redwoods justice - you just have to be there. And the mist is eerily beautiful.

    ReplyDelete