Thursday, March 14, 2013

Around the world in 80 bites

Tonight the Girl was eager to get to her school's annual International Food Festival.  Last year, if you remember, our contribution to the global feast was a plate of chips [fries] with vinegar.  This year we took another classic British favourite - balti curry.

About thirty countries were represented, and the Girl - rapidly turning into quite the adventurous eater - sampled something from every one (except Australia, but only because whatever it was from there had already been eaten).

As I munched my way around the room I ran into a few people I knew, and we exchanged brief conversation between mouthfuls (if you don't move fast at this gig, you go hungry).  And the Girl ran into some of her friends, and one of them squealed at me, "You have a British accent!  That's so cool!!" and I replied with a self-deprecatory smile, "Yes, I know."

1 comment:

  1. I get that with my Scottish accent. I think it's because people can't really understand what I'm saying and they feel they have to say something positive to hide their blushes.

    ReplyDelete