Thursday, May 3, 2012

Talking points

There's a lot that I like about American English.  Mostly I like its casual, dress-down style.  It's very liberating.  British English still tends to be rather buttoned up, sometimes even bow-tied.

But it turns out there are things that Americans like about British English, too.  I was in a brief exchange with an American today who expressed delight that we were discussing a "nettle patch" (and she'd never heard of a dock leaf).  A friend the other day was very pleased when I described a talkative person we'd just encountered as "a bit nineteen-to-the-dozen."

American readers (if you're out there) - do you have any favourite (or favorite) Britishisms?  British readers (if there are any of you left), what are your favourite Americanisms?  No, I don't want to know what you don't like - let's be nice please.

3 comments:

  1. Personally, i love that cars have trunks.
    My mum gets a bit perplexed by her american grandson, especially when he told her to 'shut up'. Temporarily gobsmacked by his cheek, we had to explain that he was using it as an expression of incredulity...not actually telling her to 'shut up'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! Of course the American intonation makes all the difference - Shut UP!!?!! versus our mumbled Shurrup...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Americans use language more imaginatively as in "Regular Americano with space" which seems to mean a half full cup or a "small?"
    But my long term favourite has been "Regular OJ with a twist to go"

    ReplyDelete