The theme of the party was "LOFT-luck" - a Local, Organic, Fair Trade potluck [bring-&-share]. I invited guests to bring a dish that included at least one ingredient that met any of those criteria. I'll admit, I wasn't sure how people would take to the challenge - would they find the whole idea a bit precious?
They didn't seem to. Everyone willingly rose to the challenge. Dishes kept arriving and soon filled our extended dining room table, most including far more than just one LOFT ingredient. There was huge variety: fresh local salads, chilli made with locally-sourced organic beef, fair trade quinoa, home-grown rhubarb, organic cheeses... And, as they say, much, much more. Everything, without exception, was delicious. Some people even brought New York wine and beer brewed in Troy.
Just speaking for myself, I know I had to put some extra thought and effort into producing a couple of dishes that fitted the bill - and that was really the point of the exercise. I'm pretty good at talking the sustainability talk, but not often that great at putting my so-called principles into action. The LOFT-luck potluck was, as I'd hoped, a fun way to make myself try harder.
If you decide to try a LOFT-luck yourself, please think of sharing your experiences here.
Please - what is quinoa?
ReplyDeleteQuoting from the Alter Eco packet:
ReplyDeleteQuinoa ("keen-wah") is an ancient grain that has ben cultivated in the Andes Mountains of South America for more than 5,000 years. Locally referred to as the "mother grain" and as a "protein powerhouse," it kept the Incan armies strong and robust.
I could do with some of that!
ReplyDelete