Friday, May 18, 2012

Can-can

On the day that the 5th Graders "go up" to look around the Middle School, the 6th Graders all get sent home early.  So the Girl seemed to be hardly out of the door before she was back again this morning. 

Partly as a result of last weekend's party, and partly because I never get round to dealing with them, we had a large backlog of cans and bottles to dispose of.  So we loaded them all into the back of the car and took them to the can-crunching, bottle-smashing machines at the supermarket so that we could reclaim the 5c deposit per item.

It took a while, loading them one by one into the machines - but we were $9.20 richer by the end of it all!  I offered the Girl a reward for her efforts and she chose her favourite cherry pop, "Shirley Temple".

Meanwhile, I was wondering whether or not I'd inadvertently infringed the law.  I'm pretty sure I hadn't tried to claim 5c on a container bought out-of-state, but woe betide me if I had:
"WARNING: Persons tendering for redemption containers on which a deposit was never paid in this state may be subject to a civil penalty of up to one hundred dollars per container or up to twenty-five thousand dollars for each such tender of containers."
(If you bother to read the small print, you find out that they actually only go after you if they catch you tendering 48 or more such illegal containers - so, phew, that's a mercy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment